This new pat-down procedure comes close to sexual harassment. I am a frequent flyer and travel close to 100,000 miles every year.
I have an artificial hip and there for set off the metal detectors at every airport. This means pat-downs are a normal weekly occurrence for me and I never had an issue with it. Not even when I had to undergo a strip search in Miami half a year after 9/11.
But this new grope up-and-down I had to undergo today for the first time was embarrassing. No only did I feel humiliated but also felt treated like a criminal.
As far as I recall there have not been any security issues for a long time and the established procedure was working fine. Why the change?
At this checkpoint there were no full-body-scanners, which I went through already several times at other airports and never had a problem with.
The TSA guy had his hands up and down my legs all the way up to the groin area almost touching my genital area. Then he had his hands inside my pants feeling around the waste band. I don’t know what he was hoping to find he would have not been able to feel from the outside.
It was embarrassing and I hope somebody does something against this very soon.
This is actually overdoing it for no obvious reason. If terrorists really want to hurt us they don’t have to resort to planes anymore. They just have to blow up malls, churches, hospitals or other public places with large gatherings. And they probably would do more harm and damage this way then blowing up a plane.
I live for instance very close to LAX and their is some view points from which one can almost touch the planes taking off and landing. Any one with the right equipment could shoot one of these planes down and disappear before anybody realized what has happened.
Shame to the TSA – shame to the Homeland Securtity Agency for providing comedial protection – shame to the government for not doing a better job in regulating these agencies and controlling how far they can go.
What’s next? Full body-cavity search?
On Monday (15. Nov.) I will be flying again from Los Angeles LAX to Montreal and I am not looking forward to what might expect me at the next “grope down”. I wish I could have somebody secretly film what they are doing so the whole world can see what is going on. I am wondering whether I should come just in a coat and my underwear and take the coat off when going through the metal detector. I think that would be less embarrassing.
I found this one on YouTube:
- Prepare to Have the TSA’s Hands All Over You (criminaljustice.change.org)
- TSA to phase in new pat-down procedures at airports nationwide (cnn.com)
- Assume the position: TSA begins new nut-busting pat-downs (arstechnica.com)
- “TSA Resistance” and related posts (adammclane.com)
- The Danger of Airport Pat-Downs (thedailybeast.com)
- TSA rolling out new pat-down procedure (americablog.com)
- New TSA Pat-Down Procedures Involve More Groping Than Airport Bathroom (mediaite.com)
- TSA Groping Gets Worse (lewrockwell.com)
- TSA’s new pat-down draws more complaints ()
- Today’s TSA news grope-up (emergentchaos.com)
- Flight Attendants Speak Out As TSA Revolt Explodes (pumabydesign001.wordpress.com)
- bcultral: Growing anxiety over airport pat-downs and scanners (philly.com)
- TSA Responds to Abuse Allegations With Videos (pixiq.com)
- This Libertarian Radio Host Lied About TSA Harassment [Video] (jalopnik.com)
- The obligatory “TSA screeners grabbing passengers’ asses now” post (hotair.com)
- “Are TSA’s New Full Body Scanners Safe For Kids?” and related posts (deliciousbaby.com)
- TSA meeting more resistance against ‘security theater’ (americablog.com)
- ‘Invasive’ Airport Screening Stirs Backlash Among Passengers (foxnews.com)
- Rape Survivor Devastated by TSA Enhanced Pat Down (pncminnesota.wordpress.com)